Myspace Page

11/5 was an American hip-hop group from San Francisco, California whose members were Maine-O, Hennessy and TayDaTay, they were signed to Dogday, Capitol and Priority Records and were active from 1994 to 2001. The Bay Area-based trio first appeared in 1994 on Primo's album, Stickin' to the Script on the song, "Killa". Shortly after, they would release their debut album, Fiendin' 4 tha Funk. The album sold little outside the Bay Area and only made it to #76 on the Billboard's Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart. The following year, they would release a follow-up entitled A-1 Yola, which would fair much better on the charts, making it to #33 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart and #22 on the Top Heatseekers. After A-1 Yola, two more albums were released, 1999's The Overdose and 2001's After the Drama, as well as two compilations, before disbanding in 2001.

1. Peace, Knowledge, Unity
2. 11/5 On The Inside
3. Garcia Vegas
4. Straight Murderism
5. Pimp Theme
6. Flat On Yo Ass
7. U.D.C.W.I. Of 11/5 Feat. Cold World Hustlers & U.D.I.
8. Fiendin 4 tha Funk
9. The Way I Was Raised
10. Billy "Studio Danksta" Jam
11. Brousin
12. Hell Raiser
13. Kill-A-Hoe feat. U.D.I.

*X-Rae*
This, to me, is a Bay Area classic from one of, if not my favourite, underground groups. The intro into this album Peace, Knowledge, Unity features Herm Lewis delivering an empowering, preacher-type speech about the consequences of street violence, respecting oneself and respecting women. I couldn't help crack a lil smile knowing that the rest of the album contains songs about smoking weed and killing hoes lol. The following track 11/5 On The Inside is just a nice introduction to the 3 group members, Taydatay, Hennessy and Maine-O. Garcia Vegas is the anthem of the joint, in fact it's a Bay Area anthem, period. It features Taydatay riding solo over an uptempo beat rhyming about all the pleasures of blazin' the herb. I dare you not to sing along to the 'Everybody light your vegas!' chorus! Pimp Theme is exactly what it sounds like, with the emees exchanging verses as seen through the eyes of a p.i.m.p. over a funky guitar loop and bassline. As Maine-O says, '..That SuperMACKafragilistic-SexBeMACKadocious nigga.' Dope. The Way That I Was Raised sees Taydaytay talking a little more about himself as a person with a clever rhymescheme in verse one and a chronological account of his childhood in verse two. Brousin' was a hit single for the group and basically has the emcees rhyming about keeping polygamous relationships with women, over a laidback string loop. Maine-O: 'I live in the Sco, You live in the O; So I don't care, just make sure that my gate is locked and don't call me when you get there...Now you's my bootycall when I see fit; Now you waitin for the phone to click, cuz it's you I'm gonna get; I's no priest and I's no gay; And best believe when I come see you I's gon' browse on the way.' Peep the Video for this joint below! The album ends on another banga, Kill-A-Hoe; over a menacing bass loop, the emcees along with U.D.I take the woman-bashing to the next level. It's catchy enough to make even the most hardline feminist holler along to the 'Kill a hoe, Kill a hoe (FUCK THAT BITCH!)' hook!
Every beat on this album is sick. Not necessarily mind-blowing or innovative, but consistent and very much suited to the group's style. Whether its laidback, drawling sounds, dark and intimidating beats (See Straight Murderism and Hell Raiser) or uptempo anthems, they all that ooze pure West Coast Flavour fuelled by one key ingredient: Funk. Even Hip Hop amateurs will find the production friendly to their ears. Each emcee is distinct from one another in terms of the way they sound but they all jump into their verses with such energy that they command your attention as the beat seems to fade into the background. Some of the tracks might be laidback but their delivery is never that. Taydatay got a lot of shine and got to do alot of solo shit; He has been featured on other artists' albums and currently continues rhyming under the name T-Gunna, but my personal favourite has always been Hennessy. His deep voice and almost panting delivery provides a contrast to his co-stars. There is no weak track on here, so definitely peep it. 90s West Coast Bay Area Hip Hop at it's best.

Photobucket

11/5 - Brousin'