Myspace Page

Born in New York as Victor John Orena III, Vic assumed the nickname of his grandfather, Little Vic, out of deep respect for his family heritage. Vic became involved with music at a young age, laying tracks in the studio with his Uncle Paulie, Big KO, and his cousin John. John who became DJ John John, now works closely with major music forces such as Shadyville Entertainment and is known on the New York music scene for his explosive mix tapes, often featuring tracks and freestyles from Little Vic. DJ Whoo Kidd, DJ Domination, DJ Woogie, DJ Front and DJ Eclipse have all brought Vics celebrated lyrical style to the streets on their impressive mix tapes. Little Vic's musical influences range from Jay-Z and Nas to Creedence Clearwater Revival, Otis Redding and The Four Tops, but for Vic writing a great song is not about following trends or biting anyone elses style. He is greatly influenced by his family, his unique personal experiences and anything else that helps keeps his mind open, his sound fresh and his lyrics intelligent. I just go into the studio and mix things together, Vic explains. When I see peoples heads moving, I know it works. Little Vic's EACH DAWN I DIE EP was released in april 2008 via Orena Records with distribution handled by Fat Beats.


1. Each Dawn I Die (Prod. Lunatik Mind)
2. It’s My Turn (Prod. Velotz)
3. The Evil That Men Do (Prod. Buckwild)
4. Dying Slowly (Prod. Double Shot)
5. This Is What It Sounds Like (Prod. Double Shot)
6. Love Hurts (Prod. Double Shot)
7. The Exorcist (DJ Premier)
8. After All I’ve Done (Prod. Velotz)
9. Caked Up (feat. Kool G Rap) (Prod. Big KO)
10. Sister Morphine (Prod. Sly Vest)
11. Carry The Weight (Prod. Double Shot)

*X-Rae*
Well, well, wellllllll.....I think a few people have slept on this April release, including myself. I actually feel a little guilty, and dare I say stupid, for doing so because somebody had given me the heads up on this one a while back. If I let you know that this jumped straight into my top 5 albums of 2008 so far (and I'm picky as shit about my list!), you'll have an idea of where I'm going with this review.


The first little delight for listeners will be that the movie sample (still tryna figure where it comes from) which kicks off the EP on the title track, quotes all the titles of tracks included. Nice touch indeed. Little Vic has charisma in abundance and a hungry, engaging delivery that never lets up for a minute. This materializes instantly in the opening track as he spits over Lunatik Mind's intense production. On tracks like, Its My Turn, This is What It Sounds Like (this track should single-handedly compel you to buy the album. DOPE) and Carry the Weight, he lets us know who he is, what he's about, the mission he's on, and it's goal and stakes, and it's on these types of track that he shines, coming across as an ambitious and focused individual. The ink in this emcee's pen is passion and this is one of the factors that'll make it impossible for you to not listen to this from start to finish. It's not a project that I think excels in one particular area, but hosts a complete package; skillful rhyming, dope beats, versatile subject matter, hooks that'll embed themselves in your mind (Oh yes people, do not underestimate the influence of a powerful hook! On Each Dawn I Die, every track has one), but it's definitely Vic's presence on the mic that'll get you. Peep the ill wordplay on Sister Morphine: "Lee van Cleef with the speech; Burt Lancaster, hand faster, reach for the piece; But not the same peace as John Lennon; Wrong Lenin. I'm like Vladimir bustin' for revolution, I'm Russian(rushin'); Fuck outta here, I'll be chillin' with a hyper crowd down on Long Island waitin for the wave to wipe us out, diaper mouth..." That whole piece/peace/Lennon/Lenin/Russian/Rushin'/Chillin' connection is ridiculousssss!


Production on the joint is immaculate throughout, strong strong production, and while we have beats from the legendary Premo and Buckwild, it's contributions from the remaining producers that'll have you all, "got dayum!" Particularly noteworthy is Double Shot, who handles 4 of the tracks, and who I think we should all start keeping an eye on. On The Evil That Men Do, Vic gets his storytelling on over Buckwild's dark and ominous production which gives the listener the impression that he is narrating a movie scene; A fine example of a perfect marriage between subject matter and accompanying beat.


In my opinion, this is a classic! In years to come, when I'm dust and unable to holler an 'I told you so', people will uncover this gem and agree with me LOL. After coppin' this, you will be eager to hear what Little Vic has in store in terms of future projects. Saying that, keep your eyes peeled for his upcoming collaboration with Critical Madness on their Hidden Agenda project. Trust me folks, this is a must-buy. Now look into my eyes and repeat after me 'You need this album!'



Listen to 'This Is What It Sounds Like'
HERE

Listen to 'It's My Turn' HERE

Purchase via Fatbeats HERE
Also available for download on iTUNES!!